Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Mountain Dulcimers – Part 2


My Schnaufer Model was made in 2001. It is cherry with a redwood top with ebony over-lay on the fret board. It’s a basic standard Schnaufer Model with no pick-up and no additional frets. It was Christmas gift to me from my parents. This dulcimer has a lot of miles on it. It was the main dulcimer I traveled to festivals with and competed with for years. It has an amazing sound and is very special to me. I used it when I recorded my first CD.



Before one of my lessons with David Schnaufer we were admiring each others Schnaufer Model Dulcimers and realized that labels in both of our dulcimers had the same makers name on it; Lynn McSpadden.


When I went to Mt. View, AR in 1998 (I was 10 years old) to buy my very first McSpadden dulcimer I had the honor of meeting Lynn and Mary Catherine McSpadden at the Dulcimer Shoppe. Along with meeting Lynn and Mary Catherine I also meet Jean Jennings. These three people became some of my biggest supports and fans. Because of these three wonderful people I developed a love for the old McSpadden Dulcimers. I will show you some of the old ones in later posts.

Just a litte bit of info~~~ the car in the picture above is a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner that my Dad and I restored.  This car is also pictured on the back of my first CD.  It's a blast to drive!

1 comment:

  1. Steve Seifert suggested I contact you. I have a 1969 #499 McSpadden "L McSpadden, 3-string wooden peg (no 6 1/2 fret), dulcimer that I would like to sell. It's in very good to excellent condition and the pegs still hold quite well.
    Are you interested?

    ReplyDelete